Friday, October 12, 2012

Foodie Friday

For my first Foodie Friday I would like to share my cornbread recipe. I am going to share the basic one that I use, I am thinking of trying to tweek it some but have not yet. This is where the recipe is from.
I'm not sure of the date on this due to it missing the first couple of pages, but I would guess the 70's. I acquired it for $3.99 at a thrift store. The recipe itself is called Perfect Corn Bread.

Now, someone has written in changes to the basic recipe next to it and next time I make it I intend to follow their changes and see if it makes a difference. The basic recipe itself works very well, tastes good and is moist, my only complaint is that the outside is a little crumbly, but maybe I should just shorten my cooking time. 
So here are the step-by-step instructions.
First, you are going to need a sifter and bowl;

into the sifter goes 1 cup all purpose flour,

1/4 cup sugar,

4 teaspoons baking powder,

3/4 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt for everything),

sift all of it together;

then stir in 1 cup yellow cornmeal.

Add 2 eggs,

1 cup milk,

and 1/4 cup shortening.

Beat with mixer until just smooth (I'm thinking maybe I over mixed, I've made this recipe several times and don't remember the crumbly part.)

Pour into greased (I use Bakers Joy spray) 9x9 pan (I don't have a 9x9 so I used a 10x6). Bake at 425 for 20 to 25 minutes.

Sorry about the bad photos, I need to do some serious editing next time. As a side note on the page there is a hand written recipe along the bottom and side for Fried Mush. I have not tried it yet but intend to do so one day, and I will let you know when I do.


Hope you enjoy the cornbread and let me know how it works for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment